[Last Updated 5th November, 2018]
Certain high FODMAP ingredients are commonly added to food products.
It’s important you are aware of these if you are following a low FODMAP diet.
That way you’ll know exactly what to look for on the ingredients label when shopping.
You can also print or save a “cheat sheet” chart below, which is handy when shopping or cooking.
Disclaimer: this is not necessarily a complete list as new ingredients are tested often. In other words, just because an ingredient is not on this list does not mean that it’s low FODMAP.
To download a PDF version of the list suitable for printing, click the button below. It will then be emailed straight to you.
Common High FODMAP Ingredients
- Agave syrup
- Amarinth flour
- Chicken salt*
- Chicory root or extract
- Chickpea flour (besan)
- Coconut flour**
- Dehydrated vegetables*
- Dried fruit pieces (high amounts)
- Erythritol (E968)**
- Fructooligosaccharides (FOS)
- Fruit concentrate
- Fruit juices e.g pear juice, apple juice
- Garlic. Or garlic products (e.g. garlic salt, garlic powder)
- Glucose-fructose syrup
- Gram flour
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)
- Isolated fructose
- Isomalt (E953)
- Khorasan flour (kamut)
- Lentil flour
- Maltitol (E956)
- Mannitol (E421)
- Milk or milk curds
- Natural flavors*
- Onion. Or onion products (e.g. onion salt, onion powder)
- Rye if it’s a main ingredient (i.e. listed first to third on ingredient list)
- Sorbitol (E420)
- Sour cream
- Soy flour**
- Spelt if it’s a main ingredient (i.e. listed first to third on ingredient list)
- Wheat if it’s a main ingredient (i.e. listed first to third on ingredient list)
- Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)**
- Xylitol (E967)
- Yacon syrup**
* If they contain onion or garlic
** Suspected but not formally tested
Once again, if you’d like to download a larger version or printable PDF version of this FODMAPs food list, click the button below. I can then send a copy direct to your inbox.
There is also an image version of the common FODMAP ingredients here, useful for saving on your phone. However, it won’t be as clear as a pdf version:
I welcome any feedback or suggestions for improvement! Please leave them in the comments.
New to FODMAPs and Want to Jumpstart Your Diet?
- 14-day low FODMAP meal plan
- Shopping list
- Snacks cheat-sheet
- Facebook group for support
- Tutorials videos and loads more.
To learn more about it click here.