[Job is currently open!]
We’re looking for both part-time and full-time Dietitians to join our Diet vs Disease team.
Ideally you are located in the USA or Canada and will be required to work in US timezones.
(If you know someone who’d be great for this please recommend them and if we hire them we’ll gift you $500 USD gift card as a thank you!)
About The Company
At Diet vs Disease, we provide online nutrition guidance to individuals with chronic digestive disorders, empowering them to improve their health and well-being with our concierge-level dietitian service.
This is a historically under-served and overlooked patient population within traditional healthcare systems and we are revolutionizing the way these patients are treated and cared for.
Diet vs Disease started in 2019, and we have since grown to a team of 25+ from all around the world, mainly the USA. Our clients are mainly in the USA, followed by Canada and Australia.
We are moving fast, we want to change the stigma around dietitians, we want to serve more patients, and we want to play big. If that excites you then we want you to be a part of it too.
Our team of experienced dietitians specializes in digestive diseases and disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, SIBO, and other gastrointestinal disorders.
We also have psychology professionals and mindset coaches who work with our clients to address the emotional and mental aspects of managing chronic digestive disorders.
We’re also on TrustPilot so you can see independent reviews from our clients and what an opportunity this is to have a meaningful impact on their lives.
What’s In It For You?
We’ve ditched the ‘9-5’ salary model because it caps your earning potential and does not reward great work (plus we don’t do 9-5, you set your own hours.)
- Fully remote position and flexible working hours – “Life should NOT be planned around your work… Work should be planned around your life and the things that are important to you” (I stole that from Ryanne below)
- We pay at base $100 USD per premium client per month (on average you do a 30-min session twice per month, more details below on this)
- When you have over 40 clients per month then we pay $140 USD per client per month, so you are incentivized and compensated to take more clients and/or improve efficiencies
- For full-time team members, if you don’t have enough clients to meet a minimum $ earning we agree upon, we will pay you the difference. So there is no risk you will earn less than you want, only the opportunity to earn more!
- Bonuses are paid for your clients who sign on again with us and testimonials received (you don’t have to do any selling, we have systems and teams for everything!) If you are great at what you do you will be noticed, appreciated and rewarded!
- Pay increase and bonus opportunities tied directly to performance and outcomes
- Unlimited coaching from our dieititian team, support, training and access to a huge wealth of material and resources.
- We pay for professional development and fly you to conferences that tie into that (full-time team members)
- Potential to advance into other areas of the business if you desire such as management, operations, marketing, sales, etc.
- We pay for your insurance (for full-time)
- We pay for your dietitian members fee (for full-time)
- Any equipment you need to work at home efficiently
About The Role
We’re seeking experienced dietitians to join our team. You will be responsible for delivering the nutrition component of our service to the client.
Within this role you will:
- Speak with your clients on Zoom video calls twice per month. This is typically advising how to navigate a low FODMAP diet such as guiding them through the reintroduction phase. Some clients may be using tracking software so you could analyze their diet, provide motivational interviewing, coaching, etc. It depends on their goals of course (and we teach you everything).
- You will also need to reply to any questions they have in email or FB messenger (a work account) if they have questions in between the video calls
- Host one monthly live QA in the client group where we provide the community component of our service that resonates with many clients
- Where appropriate (we will teach you how), refer the clients to our in-house mindset coaches or gut directed therapist depending on what they need. We tie the diet, behavior and psychology components all in the same service/program (because that’s just what it takes with most clients!).
- We have a set method to follow as a guide but you have loads of flexibility in how you practice. For example if you feel the client needs a SIBO test or stool test for parasites then we have systems in place for ordering that.
- Attend a weekly dietitian team meeting on Zoom and help problem-solve with the team for unusual cases or more difficult cases
- Attend a quarterly all-team meeting
Here is what is so different from the usual clients you see as a dietitian…
Clients come to us in the mindset for change.
That means we’re not giving advice to people who are just there because their doctor made them see you, or because they’re stuck in a hospital bed with no way to decline the meeting or no show.
Our clients are READY for change and want to learn from you. They are there because they want to be, not because they have to be. They value your expertise and will get results, and it makes it super rewarding for us as the dietitian.
What’s more, you’ll have access to all the resources necessary to provide an A+ service to your clients… No restrictions or boundaries that you’ve likely experienced working in traditional systems.
Note that this is a contract position, which means you are effectively self-employed (1099 contractor) and not a direct employee. (This is to do with US rules that states a US LLC that is not owned by a US resident is not allowed to have US employees).
To be a successful candidate, you need:
- To have a great understanding of IBS and how to manage it from a nutrition standpoint. Ideally you are also an expert with the low FODMAP diet. If you don’t have any strong experience working with clients in gut health then you need to be enthusiastic and ready to learn a lot in a short amount of time and be prepared to put in those extra hours in the beginning to get up to speed.
- To be very comfortable on video, or be willing to get LOTS of practice with us (let’s face it, everyone needs to get comfortable with video now if you want to impact people’s lives and stay relevant in the industry). You will be on video with our team and our clients all the time.
- Tech savvy. You need to learn several online systems and softwares and apps and we expect you to be up to speed with those things immediately.
- To understand that the trade-off for a location independent position, with flexible hours, is occasionally working outside of regular 9-5 hours to respond to a client’s message in the evening, or on a weekend. Clients are in different time zones around the world, we will try to match you with people in your timezone. But essentially the 9-5 schedule goes out the window because we do whatever it takes to make sure the client successful, and it starts with support.
- Attention to detail. It should be one of your strongest traits.
- To work well in a fast-paced environment and great at keeping to a bookings schedule. If you prefer slow moving roles (in my experience like with a government role) then this won’t be for you.
- To be a people person and able to build rapport quickly. Obviously you have to enjoy interacting with people and get energy from speaking with and helping clients. The job works great for both introverts and extroverts, it’s just how we manage your time and client load that we would need to plan.
- We typically use a food tracking tool with our gut health clients in the beginning, so if you are strongly against tracking food intake then this role is not for you. (We do turn calories off where appropriate and screen for eating disorders in the beginning, it’s something we take very seriously).
- To have a desire to work remotely. Working outside of a physical team environment is not for everyone, you have to be extremely disciplined and not mind working alone! You will speak with the team everyday online so there is loads of support.
- Desire to be part of a company that is on a mission to change the negative stigma around dietitians!
- Not be running your own business on the side. We’re looking for team members who are focused on this role only. Please do not apply if you are planning to have your own business going on at the same time.
- To be happy for us to contact at least one of your current or previous employers to hear the great things they’ll say about you
Huge bonus points if you:
- Have lots of experience and confidence in more complex digestive disorders like microscopic colitis, SIBO or food chemical intolerance (histamines for example). We have these clients all the time.
- Have skills/experience or a very strong interest in psychology/behaviour change/motivational interviewing/therapy/counselling. A lot of people know what to do, they need the mindset coaching to execute on it. Arguably most of the value we provide is not in our diet knowledge, but rather our ability to persuade the client to actually implement what we recommend.
- Want full time hours
Opportunities for growth
- You’ll be provided with extensive training, both formal training where you can get professional development points, and informal training from our team.
- There is the opportunity to level up and move to senior roles! This could be as a senior dietitian or a team manager, all the way up to the highest level roles if you are ambitious. We are a team of 25+ currently and we have big plans
I asked some of the team: “How is your day-to-day different now working for us vs your previous job?“
Working with clients that I want to work with, where I want to work and when I want to work. Ultimately, flexibility and a supportive team. – Taylor
I have no commute, more time with my family, I’m more available to my school aged kids and have way better work/life balance. I’m not chasing clients, not doing unpaid admin and have an amazing team around me. – Tim
Working from home doesn’t just mean working from home. I’ve travelled to and worked in over 15 different cities in the last two years and still have been able to deliver the same service to all my clients. – Nick
Work from home can mean planning work around your life, rather than the other way around. I don’t miss the moments with my kiddo that count. I’m better paid and acknowledged for my efforts compared to the salary model. Fantastic team who share the same eagerness to learn and to solve the problems of our clients. – Ryanne
I’m not wasting 7.5 hours each week driving to and from work. I can work around school hours in the comfort of my own home. – Jay
Can I just say same to all of the above? Lol.
How To Apply
If you read this far then you should apply! Fill the form below by tapping the Start button.
This position will be closed as soon as we find the perfect match(es). So, make sure to read the description carefully and take your time to submit a high-quality application that stands out.
As part of the hiring process, please expect the process to include this at different stages:
1 – Filling in the application form once you click “Apply Now” below
2 – If short-listed, being invited to record a short video to introduce yourself (we will give you prompts on what questions to answer)
3 – Completing some additional questions to determine your current knowledge-base and skillset
4 – Attending video interviews where you will have the opportunity to talk more about your previous experience and the new role
5 – Referencing – we’ll want to speak to at least one of your current or previous employers to hear the great things they’ll say about you
We’re looking forward to hearing from you, tap the link below to start:
Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!
Founder and dietitian